Does your gaming room suck?
Odds are, if you’re here, that you need to upgrade your gaming room setup.
That’s ok – no one is judging! Let’s figure it out – what does a gaming room really need?
A gaming room needs a good gaming desk, a gaming chair, a place for your memorabilia and collectibles, some good shelving to store your games and gear, outstanding lighting, and above all else, a really solid internet connection.
If your gaming room just doesn’t have the vibe you’re looking for, you’re probably missing one – or more – of these critical elements.
What could be better than having a totally tricked out gaming room where you can indulge your passion for gaming to your heart’s content with the perfect atmosphere and vibe?
This guide will help you figure out what exactly you need to get started.
Here are ten things that every gaming room needs.
By the way – before we get too far along here, if you want to connect with other homeowners, DIYers, and builders and get more great ideas for your home to make your space the best join my free private Facebook group, Remodel Reality here.
What Does A Gaming Room Really Need?
Are you a gamer? Do you wish you had a gaming room that would turn into a the perfect war room where you could play and hang out with the guys (or girls)?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, then you need to level up your gaming room.
It doesn’t matter whether it’s a small bedroom gaming room, or you’ve got a big dedicated space to your passion.
It could be a simple task, like adding some cool LED ambient lighting.
It could be building out an entertainment center in your war room.
It could be getting yourself a new gaming chair.
Or maybe it’s something bigger creating your game room design starting from scratch.
Whatever it is, there are plenty of ways to improve your gaming experience and make sure you have everything you need to enjoy gaming at its finest.
Let’s dig in.
Your Gaming Room Needs A Gaming Desk
VITESSE Gaming Desk 63 Inch, Ergonomic Gamer Computer Desk with Mouse Pad, PC Gaming Tables with Chargeable Gaming Handle Rack, Cup Holder Headphone Hook…
- Sturdy PVC tabletops are supported by a solid steel frame. Up to 260 pounds of load-bearing capacity, T-shaped legs design for more stable support.
- 63“ W*29.5” D carbon fiber desktop, the large PVC laminated surface and mouse pad provides massive space for your gaming monitors, PC, gaming keyboards and other gaming gear.
One thing that every serious gamer needs is a gaming desk.
The main benefit of these desks is that they will provide you with plenty of space to reach all of your gaming goals.
And a gaming desk isn’t just “any” desk.
They’re designed to get you the greatest, most immersive gaming experience possible with amazing features like on-board LED lighting, giant oversized mouse pads for maximum precise control, and accessories like cup holders to keep accidents from happening.
You can set up multiple monitors on these desks, as well as multiple keyboards and mouses.
Whether you have one huge screen or triple screens, you will be able to find the perfect desk. Gaming desks are usually made with comfort and ergonomics in mind.
Many of them will easily adjust to different heights and allow their users to reach all of their gear easily. Virtually all the best gaming desks have, at the very least, adjustable feet to make sure your gaming table is on a level surface when you’re playing or working.
With a large gaming desk, you will have plenty of room to spread out and enjoy a high level of comfort when you’re in your virtual adventure.
Your Gaming Desk Needs A Gaming Chair
RESPAWN 110 Ergonomic Gaming Chair with Footrest Recliner – Racing Style High Back PC Computer Desk Office Chair – 360 Swivel, Adjustable Lumbar Support, Headrest Pillow, Padded Armrests – 2019 Red
- GAMIFIED SEATING: A racecar-style gaming chair that provides luxury and comfort, whether it’s used for intense gaming sessions and climbing to the top of the leaderboards, or long work days.
- ERGONOMIC COMFORT: With segmented padded designed to give highly contoured support when and where you need it most, this ergonomic chair is also equipped with an extendable footrest for position reinforcement. Adjustable headrest and lumbar support pillows, as well as padded armrests provide all-around comfort.
To go along with your gaming desk, you will need an uber-comfortable gaming chair.
There are so many different styles of gaming chairs that are available, so be prepared to wade through a plethora of options before you find the perfect chair.
Most gaming chairs come with great lumbar support and allow for reclining so that you can have the best view of your gaming session.
Surely you’ll be spending hours at a time sitting in this chair, so it is important to find one that is built with the ultimate comfort in mind.
Just like a good standing desk, or comfortable office chair, you will not regret buying the most comfortable chair that you can afford.
You might also want to consider a gaming chair with wheels so that you can easily move around and get adjusted, especially if you’ve got a big gaming setup and you may need to move from one keyboard to another.
Some gaming chairs are also made with built-in speakers around the headrest. This is a great addition that will help you feel completely immersed in the gaming experience.
No matter what gaming chair you decide on, make sure that it is a perfect fit for you and for the game room idea that you have in your mind.
Your Gaming Room Needs Shelves To Store Your Gear
You Have Space Black Floating Shelves for Wall, 34 Inch Video Games CD DVD Storage Shelves, Cube Storage Organizer Shelf Set of 3
- Media Shelf: With YouHaveSpace black shelves, make sure that all of your media collections are safe and put away in one place. You can stack 36 DVDs or 60 CDs on each floating media storage tower
- Video Game Holder: Our floating shelf set is ideal to utilize as a video game storage tower. Simply place them next to your gaming pc or video game console to keep your large collection of video games within hands reach while displaying some gaming accessories to level up your game room decor
If you have a lot of different games that you enjoy playing, you might want to consider buying some sort of shelving to house all of those games.
If you’re a console gamer primarily, then you may need a space for all those gaming disc cases.
Not only can it house games that you are not currently playing, or your most popular games, but you can also place collectibles and memorabilia on your shelves to create the right vibe.
This can also be used as a place to store extra controllers and other accessories while they are charging.
You can also get an entertainment center with additional shelving and glass doors if you have action figures that you would like to display.
Also – one thing to think about: You may need extra shelving and storage if you plan on hosting any game nights. The extra storage space can be used to store everyone’s gear so that it’s out of the way while you’re gaming.
Your Gaming Room Needs The Right Equipment
Now that you have got your essential furniture, it is time to think about any additional equipment that you may need.
Of course, you will need a system if you do not already have one.
There are video game consoles such as the latest Playstation 5 or Xbox Series X, that you can choose from.
Handheld systems such as the Nintendo Switch have recently become popular. On the other hand, you might decide to game solely on your PC.
Those things are a given for a gamer.
We’re assuming that you already have one – or multiple – of those things in place already.
What your gaming room needs though is the right tools to create the right vibe and that includes your gaming mouse and your mechanical keyboard.
No self-respecting PC gamer isn’t going to have KeyChron mechanical keyboard (or something like it) and the best gaming mouse they can get.
Keychron K10 Full Size 104 Keys Bluetooth Wireless/USB Wired Mechanical Gaming Keyboard for Mac with Gateron G Pro Brown Switch/RGB Backlight/Multitasking Computer Keyboard for Windows, Aluminum Frame
- The Keychron K10 is a 104 keys RGB backlight Bluetooth mechanical keyboard aluminum frame made for Mac and Windows. Engineered to maximize your productivity with most popular full size layout with number pad.
- With a unique Mac layout while compatible with Windows, the K10 has all essential multimedia and function keys you need (Num Lock works with Windows only), and comes with a dedicated Screenshot Key, Siri (Cortana) Key, and Screen Lock Key. Extra keycaps for both Mac and Windows operating systems are included.
Whichever method of gaming you choose, it is important to make sure that you have all of the equipment that you need for that system.
You will need to make sure that you have controllers for your system, as well as chargers for those controllers – not only for yourself, but for your crew too.
You might also want to consider any special controllers that you might need, such as steering wheel controllers or other stuff like that.
Logitech G920 Driving Force Racing Wheel and Floor Pedals, Real Force Feedback, Stainless Steel Paddle Shifters, Leather Steering Wheel Cover for Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, PC, Mac – Black
- Works on Xbox Series X, Xbox One and PC – Driving force is designed for the latest racing game titles for your Xbox Series X or Xbox One console. Add driving force to your controller selection and you may never want to race with a regular controller again. G920 driving force pro also works on PC with select titles
- Realistic force feedback – G920 driving force is engineered with dual-motor force feedback that is designed to realistically simulate the feel of your car and tires on every turn and type of terrain so you can sense under- or oversteer, drifting and more. With helical gears modeled after the gearing used in car transmissions, you get exceptionally smooth, quiet and precise steering action. Anti-backlash tensioning keeps the wheel and pedals tight, maximizing your control. Rotation: 900 degrees lock-to-lock. Hall-effect steering sensor
If you are thinking about getting into the world of live-streaming your video games, you will also need equipment for that.
You will need a device to record on, as well as a stand or a tripod on which to set that device. That means you will need at least one camera, but your smart phone can work too.
It also means that you’re using a quality microphone.
Headset mics are notorious for horrible audio, so having a podcasting mic is a good idea to help you capture the best audio.
In addition to your smart phone camera, you’re going to need a ring light and tripod stand.
JOBY GorillaPod 5K Kit. Professional Tripod 5K Stand and Ballhead 5K for DSLR Cameras or Mirrorless Camera with Lens up to 5K (11lbs). Black/Charcoal.
- Flexible: Grip it, wrap it, stand it, wrappable legs allow you to secure professional camera equipment to virtually any surface
- Efficient: Arca-Swiss system compatible quick release plate stays connected to camera for instant set-up
If you are wanting your viewers to see both you and your game, you will need two devices to record on, plus one that captures your action on the screen by using screen recording software.
Your Gaming Room Needs Theater Accessories
After you set up all of your furniture and all of your equipment, you may find yourself a little disappointed with the final look of your setup.
This is where theater accessories come in.
Accessories such as a good set of speakers and LED strip lights can help give your game room that final touch of perfection that you have been searching for.
Philips Hue Play White & Color Smart Light, Single Base Kit, Hub Required/Power Supply Included (Works with Amazon Alexa, Apple Homekit & Google Home) , Black – 7820131U7
- Includes power supply, purchase the Hue Play Base Kit to get started. Requires the Hue Hub (sold separately, Model 458471). Search “Philips Hue Hub” or “B016H0QZ7I” to find this product on Amazon. SmartThings system
- Voice activated: The Philips Hue White & Color Ambiance Bar Light can be controlled using your voice when you have Amazon Alexa, Apple HomeKit, or Google Assistant enabled (Philips Hue Hub and Smart Home Device required and sold separately), Philips Hue smart lights can also be paired for home automation with your existing Nest products or Samsung SmartThings system
The right pair of gaming speakers can help your game come to life in a way that it never has before.
Another option is a surround sound gaming headset for a more immersive experience.
Color-changing LED strip lights can create a really cool atmosphere in your gaming room that you will never want to come back from.
Your Gaming Room MUST HAVE A Reliable Internet Connection
You may think it’s a no-brainer, but reliable high-speed internet is one of the most important things that you will need for successful gaming.
Make sure that your internet plan is for speeds large enough to support any online gaming that you might want to try.
Also, if you are hoping to navigate the world of online streaming, you will want to make sure that your internet service package is up to the challenge.
There is nothing worse than dropping games due to a poor internet connection or having your live stream cut out mid-battle because you were trying to cut your internet costs.
Your Gaming Room Needs The Right Decor
ineonlife Game Shaped Neon Signs Neon Lights LED Neon Signs for Wall Decor 16”x 11” Gamepad Neon Signs for Bedroom Children Gaming Zone Part
- VALUABLE GAME NEON SIGNS PACKAGE:You will get a cool hangable led game Signs for Business with an acrylic backboard,A 150 cm (59-inch) power cord with a 5V low-voltage USB interface and two reusable white hooks.Game neon sign size approx 16”x 11”.I believe our products will surprise you!
- PREMIUN GAME LED NEON SIGNS MATERIALS:Neon sign for bedroom is made of environmentally friendly transparent acrylic back panel and PVC hose materials.The material of game neon light sign is soft, durable and strong.Without bulbs,low energy consumption,Long lifespan.No risk of glass breakage or leakage of hazardous materials
Now that you have all of your essentials, it is time to start making this game room your own!
You can find room decor for a lot of different games, and it is up to you to decide how you want to decorate your game room.
There are plenty of neon signs and regular signs that will make your guests jealous of your superb decorating skills.
One of the coolest neon lights I’ve seen is the one that Noah Kagan has of a “taco” in his video room.
Besides wall decor, there are plenty of other cool gaming room ideas for decorations.
A game-themed rug is a good place to start, and maybe some curtains to match.
There are even game-themed lighting options available if that is something that you are interested in.
One thing that’s very popular in gaming circles is to buy game-related figurines or knick-knacks and display them on those shelves that we talked about earlier.
These figurines and knick-knacks can show your guests a little more about yourself and will be the start of many interesting conversations.
Your gaming room is all about creating the right vibe and these things will go a long way to help you level up.
For The Best Ambient Lighting Effect In Your Gaming Room Get Some Blackout Curtains or Blinds
NICETOWN White 100% Blackout Lined Curtains, 2 Thick Layers Completely Blackout Window Treatment Thermal Insulated Drapes for Kitchen/Bedroom (1 Pair, 52 inches Width x 63 inches Length Each Panel)
- 100% Polyester
- Ready Made: 2 panels per package. Each Classic Lined Curtain measures 52″ wide x 63″ long (Total width is 104″). The unique design of the silver grommet (1.6 inch inner diameter) creates casual elegance for your house, which makes the curtains easy to install and slide.
Lighting can be very important in your gaming space.
Natural light may sound like a relaxing idea for your home office setup, but in your gaming room, lots of exterior light can be a huge distraction.
It can be hard to focus on your screens at certain points during the day due to glares from your screen. No worries!
A great set of blackout blinds or curtains is the perfect answer to the outside light problem.
When you close blackout curtains, they’ll stop virtually all the light from coming into your room so you can prepare for an immersive gaming experience with no distractions. At least, no distractions from the sun, anyways.
If you plan on also using your game room as a theater room, these blackout blinds or curtains can also be shut or pulled closed to create a dark space when it’s time for family movie night.
Imagine watching the latest family favorite in your dark gaming lair!
You might also decide to use your gaming space for family game night. Pull out all of the board games and card games and turn on some gaming lights. This will help create relaxing and ambient lighting for a fun night!
Create An Entertainment Center
The great thing about a gaming room is that you have the option to do whatever you want with it.
If you are a serious gamer or even a professional gamer, you might want to use the room solely for gaming.
However, a lot of people find enjoyment in using their gaming room as a multipurpose room.
As we talked about earlier, some people enjoy using their game room as a theater room, or as a family game night room.
If this is how you plan on using your game room, you might want a table or a coffee table so that you will have space for board games.
Some people take this to the next level, as well.
A pinball machine, arcade machines, slot machines, and even retro gaming consoles and devices are also a huge hit in game spaces.
Mix in some friendly competition with your own gaming tournament, and your friends will be talking about their amazing gaming experience for weeks.
Even better, add in some comfy couches or bean bags, and your game room will be everyone’s favorite entertaining space.
Add A Mini Fridge To Your Game Room Setup
Antarctic Star Beverage Refrigerator Cooler – 145 Can Mini Fridge Glass Door for Soda Beer or Wine Small Drink Dispenser Clear Front for Home, Office or Bar, Silver,4.4cu.ft
- KEEP WINE COOL: Heat is enemy number one for wine. The Wine Cooler enables you to store your wine in optimal conditions for long-term aging. Working temperature range is 40°F- 61°F, and allows you to customize the temp (55°F is often cited as close to perfect).
- IDEAL LIGHT and HUMIDITY: The sun’s UV rays can degrade and prematurely age wine. Double Pane Glass Door can block out harmful UV rays and help to maintain an ideal humidity level. Blue soft LED interior lighting not only beautifully showcases the wine but won’t damage the wine.
What more needs to be said?
Who doesn’t love a well-stocked mini fridge to keep refreshments nearby to make the gaming experience complete?
With a mini fridge, your favorite drink will always be a nearby, and it will be cold.
If you’re underage you can stock it with sodas and snacks.
For the adults, you can even add in a bar space to your game room where you can place a keg cooler so you have you own kegerator in your gaming room!
A minibar with a mini fridge will also add a dash of sophistication to your game room if you find that is something that is lacking.
It may become another chore to keep it stocked, but adding a minibar to your game space will be an addition that you will not regret.
So here’s the deal: If your gaming room is missing any of these things, need to level up your gaming room.
The whole point of this is to help you see what make an awesome gaming room awesome, and find the things you need to find to start making that happen.
I think I got it all covered, but what do you think? What else would you add to your game room design?
Want to join others who are creating the most amazing home redesigns & renovations and get more tips, tricks and hacks on how to make your home the best it can be?
Join my brand new free private Facebook group, Remodel Reality to connect with other people like you to make your space the best!